TrueCrypt is a software to protect your data using file encryption algorithm. You can keep sensitive data and passwords on desktop computer and even take it within your laptop without fearing of theft or loss. TrueCrypt has sophisticated and essentially unbreakable encryption design. Plus it’s very easy to use and well thought out.
It offers features such as dual and triple scheme encryption. In other words, (as an example) your file can use a combination of AES-Twofish-Serpent for extreme protection. Be sure to look over the documentation to see the superior power and flexibility available in this data encryption software.
- Creates a virtual encrypted disk within a file and mounts it as a real disk.
- Encrypts an entire hard disk partition or a storage device such as USB flash drive.
- Encryption is automatic, real-time (on-the-fly) and transparent.
- Provides two levels of plausible deniability, in case an adversary forces you to reveal the password:
- Hidden volume (steganography – more information may be found here).
- No TrueCrypt volume can be identified (volumes cannot be distinguished from random data).
TrueCrypt 5.0 to be released on January 2008 with additional features
- Windows system partition encryption with pre-boot authentication
- Mac OS X version
- GUI for Linux versions of TrueCrypt
- Parallelized and pipelined read/write
- and more.